Taking the First Step
The most common impediment in the pursuit of better results and a better life are self-limiting beliefs. Self-limiting beliefs are those beliefs that constrain us in some way. By believing them, we do not think, do or say the things that they inhibit. And, in doing so, we impoverish our lives and the lives of others.
My experience suggests that among business owners, three of the most common self-limiting beliefs are: 1.) fear of the unknown; 2.) a lack of perfect clarity about how to achieve more; and, 3.) questions about how to find time and money to do what is necessary to achieve more. These and other self-limiting beliefs negatively impact the way that business owners think and make decisions. More specifically, self-limiting beliefs cause business owners to avoid taking the critical first step in implementing change in the pursuit of better results. The consequences limit business outcomes and negatively impact all of its stakeholders.
It is absolutely essential to overcome these and other self-limiting beliefs before taking the important first step towards achieving better business results. The question is simply … how?
Here are a few self-enabling beliefs that can help you overcome a natural human resistance to change and take the important first step towards better results and a better life.
- Success is a choice and you, and only you are responsible. All that you are and all that you have in life was brought about by a conscious or sub-conscious willingness to take a first step.
- Take full responsibility for every outcome in your business. Denial, blame, fear and excuses must not rule the day.
- Success comes at a price, paid in only in two ways – with your time and your money. Mastering the use of time and money, and a willingness to take risks are critical to harnessing your full potential.
- The price of failure, paid in suffering, far-and-away exceeds the price of success.
- “Mistakes are often a far better teacher than success.” Jack Welsh
Post these and other self-enabling beliefs in a prominent location in your office, on your smart phone, laptop, or any location where you have easy access. Read them daily as part of your morning ritual. Over time, your belief system will shift to a more favorable one and the quality and speed of your decisions will improve for your benefit and for the benefit of your employees, family members and others.
One of the primary roles of an experienced business coach is to help you overcome self-limiting beliefs and take the critical first step towards achieving better business results. At 1Direction, we’ll help frame a future vision, identify areas of dissatisfaction and develop the mindset necessary to take your business to another level. Contact us now for more information and to take the first steps in a free consultation.